Sunday, August 8, 2010

Young Adult Literature

I just finished reading an article form the NY Times about young adult literature and the adults who read it that I really liked.  Thanks to Katie and Kerrlita for passing it on. 

Here's the link if you're interested in reading it:  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/08/books/review/Paul-t.html

Having taught reading to middle school students these past several years, I've really gotten exposed to some really wonderful works that I wouldn't have otherwise read.  Here's a short list of novels that I like that are worth a read or two or twenty (as happens when you have 5 classes that read the same novel).

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (My favorite author!)
House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (Cloning, defining humanity)
The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton (A classic from my youth!)
Feed by M.T. Anderson (What are we devolving into?)
Whale Talk by Chris Crutcher (also, Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes)
The Maze Runner by James Dashner (met him this past year---great author to chat with)
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (believe the hype!)
The Absolute Diary of a Part Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (The trials and tribulations of growing up)

These are just a few of my favs.  One of my jobs is to convince 12 and 13 year olds that reading is worth their time.  In order to do this, I have to make good use of my network of librarian friends who know a great deal more about literature than I.

Enjoy---B

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite sites to help me out.

    http://www.mymcpl.org/books-movies-music/juvenile-series

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on all of these choices. I would like to add a few of my own favorites--
    Paper Towns and The Abundance of Katherines by John Green (more High School, but he's an excellent writer).
    Incarceron by Catherine Fisher (I just finished this and it's very good).
    Nation by Terry Pratchett (outstanding audiobook!) I would also like to recommend The Graveyard Book on audio, it's read by the author and is wonderful.
    Godless and Rash by Pete Hautman
    Deadline by Chris Crutcher
    Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer (there are two more after this one in the series-- great concept for a book and it reads like it could really happen).
    Keeper by Mal Peet (soccer them, very different and interesting).
    There are some great YA books and it's fun to discover new ones.

    ReplyDelete